Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Hello, I have a little girl named olivia, she is turning 3…

Customer Question
hello, I have a little girl...
hello,

I have a little girl named olivia, she is turning 3 in august. Over the last 6 months she has lost 4 kg in weight. now weighing in at 11.3. she has runny poos all the time. Most of the time they burn her. And can do up to eight poos a day, but she averages about 3. i have been to the doctors and he said it was a build up of dairy in her bowls so he told me to take her off dairy products for a week milk, yogurt, and cheese etc. i have done this and she still poos atleast 3 times a day. recently i have notice pink and clear jelly in her poo. what should i say do now. i have been back to the doctor and he said just take her off the dairy again. i think there might be more to it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/29/2010
Pediatrician: David L. Hill, MD, FAAP, Doctor replied 8 years ago
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP
Hi, Dr. Hill here. Thank you for posting to Just Answer! I would agree wholeheartedly with your concern. If this were a milk protein allergy she should have recovered completely and stayed well with the elimination of dairy products from her diet, so long as she stayed off them. The weight loss is seriously alarming, as is what sounds like blood in her stool. The possible causes of such symptoms are several, including infection with Clostridium difficile, E. coli, Salmonella, Shigella, or Campylobacter. It may take as many as three stool samples to find such an infection. She may also be suffering inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. Blood labs can help point the way to these illnesses, and stool samples show both red blood and white blood cells. She could have cystic fibrosis as well, which can often be identified through blood testing, but stool studies can help as well, and sweat testing is the gold standard. At any rate I would not accept "no" for an answer in pursuing the cause of these symptoms.