Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has a terrible diaper rash. We tried every cream…

Customer Question
My daughter has a terrible...
My daughter has a terrible diaper rash. We tried every cream including Nyastatin which is prescripted. What do we do? She has open skin, bleeds and screams from pain every time she pees or poops
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/29/2010
Pediatrician: David L. Hill, MD, FAAP, Doctor replied 8 years ago
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP
Hi, Dr. Hill here. Thank you for posting on Just Answer! You may have tried this, too, but if you have not then change diaper brands. Allergies to certain dyes and scents in a brand of diaper can cause the sort of rash your describe. Often a brand change will fix it.
Im not sure thats the problem....then what? The rash will just go away? She didnt have the rash when she was born...she's been using the same diapers fro 6 months.
Right. I can't be sure that's the problem, either, because I haven't actually seen the rash. That said, you've tried a lot of other alternatives that haven't worked, and this is an option you have not yet explored. Remember, allergies develop from repeated exposure to a given allergen, so they tend to develop, not to new exposures, but to things the child has had repeated contact with, like diapers. Contact dermatitis to the diaper is a frequently-overlooked cause of severe diaper rash. If it is the problem, then I would expect the rash to improve over about one to three weeks.
hmm...could it be that I started her on formula about 3 weeks ago and she is allergic to soy?
That is much less likely, unless you've failed to mention she now has diarrhea, possibly with some blood in it. Soy allergy would likely manifest as vomiting, diarrhea, reflux, or hives.