Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 month old breast fed baby has had blood in his stool

Customer Question
for 3 weeks. Should i...
My 3 month old breast fed baby has had blood in his stool for 3 weeks. Should i continue breast feeding him?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/28/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 7 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.

Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. When it has started? Have you tried cow milk earlier? Was the stool tested? Was he checked by doctor? How frequent ? Any other symptom?

Regards.
It started 3 weeks ago. There are red blood dots and sometimes red streaks in stool. I took him to a doctor who ask me to avoid milk. It has been 2 weeks since i stop taking milk but there has been no improvement. On the second visit the doctor ask me to give hypoallergenic infant formula,but my baby doesn't want it. Stool was tested negative for bacteria. No other symptom, baby gaining weight and looks happy. Stool has offending smell and is greenish in colour. Please help.
Does he have constipation? Do you have any injury to breast?
he has up to 4 or 5 bowel movement every day. i don't have cracked nipples
Thank you for the input.

In many cases, the cause of blood in stools is not known. As your baby is otherwise healthy and growing, you should not worry much. Usually blood in the stool resolves on its own. Though breast milk allergy is rare, but sometime, cross reaction to the protein of any milk product you are taking can have a role in producing any allergy. You can try to restrict your milk content in the food to see any change or effect. If the symptoms persist, you can consult a pediatric gastroenterologist or allergy specialist to check any allergy factor. As long as the bleeding is not much, he is gaining weight, you can continue breast feeding.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish his early recovery.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician