Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My granddaughter is 18 months old. she still wakes up every…

Customer Question
my granddaughter is 18 months...
my granddaughter is 18 months old. she still wakes up every 2-3 hours every night. she seems to have quite a bit of gas. she is lactose intolerant. her daily stools are generally very soft, often sloppy. she is very active, gaining weight and eats a variety of foods. i think she has some digestive problem. any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/28/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
While you are correct that it appears to be a dietary problem, the good news is that since the weight and height and appetite seems to be normal, no specific management is likely to be needed.
The kind of stools that you are describing are related to possibly some mild food intolerance (fat, oil in food, preservatives) etc. or may be a normal variation (the so called toddler's diarrhea).
What you need to do is continue giving her a good diet, consider keeping a food diary to see if she is intolerant to any other food, and monitor the weight and height.
In most cases, no further treatment is needed at this age.
Warm regards
thank you. i am concerned though that she still wakes up every 2-3 hours every night. generally i can pat her back, sometimes give her a bottle but i am exhausted and think she should sleep longer at a time. she's in her own bed now but i did try her in bed with me but she still wakes and cries. any suggestions?
Pediatrician: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.

Unfortunately, the only thing to do that helps is to "bite the bullet" and let her cry herself back to sleep. Her lactose intolerance is not causing this. She is old enough and beyond the age when she can sleep through the night in terms of nutrition.

What do you do for daytime naps in terms of putting her down?

Thanks,