Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

At the end of april my 8 year old son broke out in a rash on…

Customer Question
at the end of april...
at the end of april my 8 year old son broke out in a rash on his trunk that looked like poisin ivy. so that is how we treated it. after 5 days its was still there and moved to the palms of the hands and the soles of his feet but the rashon his hands and feet were tiny red spots that were flush with skin and not raised. after takin him to the dr they treated him with doxycycline for rocky mountain spotted fever and and took blood. at his follow upapp 2 days later we were informed that he did not have rmsf and no luekemia.... i was told to continue the doxy for the remainder of the 14 days treating the rash for a tick borne illness anyways but knowing the streangth of the med i only continued the med for 7 days. since, his hands and feet both started peeling and both of his thumbnails seperated from the nail bed at the cuticle area. now it has stated on 2 other nails. do all of the symptoms have a common illness? do they go hand in hand with something?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/28/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Peeling of skin after a viral illness is a well known phenomenon.
Also sometimes peeling can occur after medicine use.
Peeling of skin is known after a significant allergic reaction too.
Hence it is likely that these two problems are related.
They do not point to any specific illness though.
You should consider completing the course of Doxycycline, or at least giving it for 10 days and consulting your pediatrician,
Warm regards