Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Are there any known disorders where kids do not cry and do…

Customer Question
Are there any known disorders...
Are there any known disorders where kids do not cry and do not show any reaction to painful stimuli?

Thank-you Kathy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/27/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello K,

Sorry about your boy.

There is a condition called Familial Dysautonomia which affects the development and survival of sensory, sympathetic and some parasympathetic neurons in the autonomic and sensory nervous system resulting in variable symptoms including: insensitivity to pain, inability to produce tears, poor growth, and labile blood pressure (episodic hypertension and postural hypotension). People with FD have frequent vomiting crises, pneumonia, problems with speech and movement, difficulty swallowing, inappropriate perception of heat, pain, and taste

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Familial_dysautonomia

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.