Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 33 months. He has been on Zantac for 1 month for…

My son is 33 months...
My son is 33 months. He has been on Zantac for 1 month for acid reflux. Had been OK. Has been complaining of stomach ache and not really eating since Friday, Threw up 2 times Friday morning, mostly clear vomit. Threw up again this morning and again while he slept at night. No fever. No diarrhea. He seems fine after he throws up. I hear him regurgitating from time to time. Is this part if the reflux? Could it be viral?
6/27/2010
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello j c,

Sorry about your son having stomach upset.

You could add antacid syrup (either mixed with feed or immediately after feeds).

If still he continues with vomiting, it could be due to virus. Please give extra fluid sips (of sugary water with dash of common salt) in between feeds. He should have normal urine output.

He could take bland non spicy solids. Benadryl syrup can also be used 15 minutes before feeds, three times a day.

What do you mean by antacid syrup? You mean something OTC to be given in addition to Zantac he is taking twice a day?
Also what is the purpose of the sugary water?
Thabk you.
Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello. While your are waiting for Dr. Yogindra to respond, I thought I might be able to help as well. It sounds like your son may have a "stomach virus." There are several viruses common to the summer months such as Rotavirus and Norwalk virus. With these, one can experience vomiting and/or diarrhea. Usually the vomiting "phase" is first, then diarrhea ensues when the vomiting subsides. These illnesses can last anywhere from 2 to 7 days. The most important thing is keeping your son well hydrated. When he vomits, wait about an hour for his stomach to relax a bit, then offer clear fluids such as Pedialyte or white grape juice. It is important to offer the fluid slowly, for example, 1 oz every 10-15 minutes at first, to prevent him from immediately vomiting again. Once your son is tolerating clear fluids without vomiting, you can begin to offer bland foods such as crackers, clear soups, and rice. As your son continues to drink and eat, the virus will clear his system. Make sure he is urinating, at least 4 times in 24 hours. If not, he is probably becoming dehydrated and I would recommend taking him to his doctor or your local emergency room. I would also seek medical attention if the vomiting/diarrhea last longer than 3 days. As for the Zantac, if he is able to take it without vomiting, I would continue his usual dose. I hope this helps and that your son is feeling better soon.
Dr. Leah
Dr. Leah, Board Certified Pediatrician