Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 6 yo daughter has slight nausia, pain in the back of the…

Customer Question
My 6 yo daughter has...
My 6 yo daughter has slight nausia, pain in the back of the head and it hurts the back of her neck when she touches her chin to her chest. Yesterday she was fine but the day before stayed at 100-101 F and spiked for a short time at 104-105 maybe slighly higher. Temp went down with Triaminic. Temp today is back to 100. She's very weak and tired. I'm concerned about Meningitis.. also a classmate at daycare went home Tues with strep throat. My daughter has not complained of a sore throat. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/26/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. Certainly with those symptoms I would advise you to have her looked at now and not wait. While unlikely she has meningitis, which causes a stiff neck, not just a sore one, she very well could have strep and needs to be treated. At her age she would likely not tell you she has a sore throat but rather headache, fever, stomach ache are more common symptoms of strep than sore throat.
Take her in somewhere today as it is not worth taking a chance it is something worse or just a virus that will go away. Better to know exactly what is wrong and a quick exam and strep test are invaluable.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Thanks for the info. I took her to an urgent care (her regular doctor is not in) and they gave her a blood test. The doctor was concerned about Mono among other things. Then he asked if she had been in contact with someone who had strep throat. I mentioned that to him but he must not have heard. She has a mild infection and says she is probably over the worst of it and gave a prescription for Amoxil. No strep test was given but I'm pretty sure that's the case here. Thanks again for your help.
You are quite welcome and amoral should take care of it.