Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Can I detect the klinefelter syndrome in a 4 year old boy?

Customer Question
can I detect the klinefelter syndrome in a 4 year old boy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Pediatrician: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.

What signs and symptoms in your son concern you specifically, please?

Thanks,

HE LIKES PINK AND PURPLE COLORS, AND HE TOLD ME DIRECTLY THAT HE WAS VERY SAD WITH GOD BECAUSE HE DID NOT LIKE TO BE A BOY, HE WANTED TO BE A GIRL, AND HE ALWAYS IS ASKING ME WHY HE WAS BORN AS A BOY, THE LIKES EVERYTHING ABOUT GIRLS, MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF ARE VERY WORRY ABOTU THIS, I NEED YOUR HELP DOCTOR

Thank you for the additional information.

Most young children have gender identity (they know they are a boy or a girl) by 18 months - 2 years old, so your son very likely does have this at 4 years old.

If your son has said such things, I think it is likely that he truly feels as he says. I strongly recommend that he be seen by a developmental pediatrician to help him continue to process his feelings and preferences in an age-appropriate manner. I cannot tell from what we know so far whether or not your son is homosexual and frankly at his age we cannot tell for certain.

I realize this is a very weighty issue, and many people bring much emotional overlay to the discussion. Homosexuality is NOT a disease and NOT a "lifestyle choice" ; all current research says it is a biological issue.

Please be supportive of your son whatever this may bring.

May I ask do you live near a larger childrens' hospital where a developmental pediatrician can be consulted?

Also, just to correct a possible misunderstanding, Klinefelter syndrome, in which affected people have an XXY karyotype instead of XX or XY, is not associated with homosexuality.

Please let me know if I can try to help more.

Best,

Louise Sivak, M.D.

THANKS DOCTOR FOR GIVING ME SOME DIRECTIONS TO TAKE, I LIVE EN CORONA CALIFORNIA AND IF YOU HAVE IN MIND ANY GOOD DOCTOR TO TAKE MY CHILD TO I WILL BE MORE THAN THANKSFUL, CORONA IS NEAR TO SANTA ANA CALIFORNIA AND I JUST NEED THE NAME OF THE DOCTOR AND TELEPHONE NUMBERTO MAKE THE APPOINMENT, AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOU VALUE TIME

ANA CELILIA MELENDEZ

IF YOU CAN SEND ME THAT INFORMATION TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS WILL BE GRATE!

You can find pediatric specialists through the websites of any of the children's hospitals in your area. I do not recommend a specific person. I cannot see your personal e-mail information as this Just Answer site blocks all your personal information to protect your privacy.

Best,

Dr.sivak i have tried to look for a development Pediatician but I do not find that classification, just a general Pediatric, It is ok if We visit a General Pediatic? my personal e-mail is *****@******.***, Thanks inadvance for your help

Ana Cecilia Melendez

Starting with a General Pediatrician is just fine.

Best,