Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

MY SON IS 10 AND A HALF AND HE IS STILL WETTING THE BED. I…

Customer Question
MY SON IS 10 AND...
MY SON IS 10 AND A HALF AND HE IS STILL WETTING THE BED. I HAVE NEVER TALKED ABOUT THIS WITH HIS DR. BECAUSE IT ISN'T AN EVERYDAY PROBLEM AND I THOUGHT HE WOULD OUT GROW IT BY NOW. ITS BEEN ON AND OFF FOR YEARS NOW. I TRIED NOT LETTING HIM DRINK ANYTHING TOO LATE, THERE ARE NIGHLIGHTS ON, HE HAS A SET BEDTIME. THERE WAS A TIME THAT HE WOULD GET UP LIKE CLOCK WORK TO USE THE BATHROOM AT NIGHT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/16/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello j c,

First you must get his urine checked in laboratory for any infection or for sugar, etc.

During day time, exercise his controlling sphincter by making him pass urine in bits and pieces, by stopping midstream 3-4 times, every time.

There are electronic aids available for use at home so that he gets alarm each time he initiates micturition in bed.

Some prescription drugs also are commonly prescribed for such a problem. Consult your doctor about these.

CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT WHY HIS URINE NEEDS TO BE TESTED? THIS MAY BE A REASON FOR BED WETTING?

I WILL HAVE HIM DO THAT EXERCISE FROM NOW ON, BUT I WON'T LOOK INTO MEDICATIONS FOR NOW.

Relist: Answer quality.

Sorry about delay due to time zone diff.

If there is infection of bladder or urethra, there may be accident due to painful stimuli during sleep.

Also, if there is diabetes (high blood sugar), there is excessive urine production in place of normally occurring decreased urine production during sleep.

ok, do you know of any vitamins or herbs that might help? i like to use natural remedies rather than drugs.

You could use any herb containing hyoscine beginning cautiously with low dose.

Other link :

www.greathomeremedies.com/enuresis.html

ezinearticles.com/?Herbal-Remedies-For-Bed-Wetting... - Cached - Similar