Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My baby is 8 months old and he is now refusing to drink any…

Customer Question
My baby is 8 months...
My baby is 8 months old and he is now refusing to drink any formula or fluids. He is still eating solids but much less then usual and I'm really worried about dehydration. Now he cries even if he just sees a bottle or a sippy cup and won't open his mouth for the teat.

He has been underweight since he was 4 weeks old and is now on the 2nd centile but he is a very active baby and is always crawling everywhere and seems well in himself. I tried to not give him his lunchtime solids and give him milk instead but he is refusing this too. Should I try cow's milk?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/16/2010
Pediatrician: DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello from JustAnswer!

Please clarify:

This refusal to drink just started today?

Any fever, tugging at his ears, or oral sores?

Has he made a wet diaper in the last 6 hours?

Any chronic health concerns or long-term medications?

He has been only drinking small amounts for the last 3 days but has been refusing to drink milk completely for the last 36 hours.

We have managed to get a few ounces of other fluid in him but not much although just now he drank 5 ounces of milk from a cup. He is refusing anything from a bottle.

He was still passing urine well until about 4 hours ago and since then has had a dry nappy. no fever or tugging at ears and his mouth appears normal he has no long term health problems and is not taking any medications.

Thanks

Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello j c,

Please try giving him full cream yogurt in place of milk.

Giving cow milk from a cup would be fine, if he prefers.

Milk is not a must for baby after weaning - just about 500 mililitre per day would be adequate if the child has good appetite for solids.

Thank you for the information.

Fortunately, if he just urinated well, he does not sound dehydrated.

I have often seen children refuse to suck from a bottle when they had marked nasal congestion, an oral/throat infection, or an ear infection, so these are possible reasons for his formula bottle refusal (even in the absence of a fever). Also, please make sure that the formula is not expired or spoiled -- I have seen one infant 'inform' his mother of that situation by bottle refusal.

While yogurt may be fine at age 8 months, unlike Dr. Vasavada, I do NOT advise use of cow milk at his age (especially not for any prolonged period below age 12 months) due to its excess of protein and lack of iron and other necessary nutrients (especially with his history of being underweight and on the 2nd percentile).

I was about to suggest feeding from an open cup, and you have already wisely done that. If he does well with feeding from a cup, then continue with that; if his formula intake does not improve after a day using the cup, then have his pediatrician check him for any health concern that would affect feeding. If he fails to make a good wet diaper every 6 hours, then have him evaluated promptly by a doctor for possible dehydration.

DrOAB
DrOAB, Board Certified Pediatrician