Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Experience:  33 years of experience as a general pediatrician in private practice and in pediatric urgent care.
17654155

My 11 year old daughter has been having pain just under her

Customer Question

My 11 year old daughter has been having pain just under her bellybutton. She says that the pain is a 3 or 4 out of 10. She lost her dad to suicide almost 2 years ago. She says that she is afraid of someone in our family dying. Could this be nerves? She also has not yet had her first period. It hurts her after eating most of the time. She is a very athletic girl. Any thoughts?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. A. Clark replied 8 years ago.
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. If her pain has been chronic and going on for more than a few days then here is what I recommend: If her doctor has not examined her thoroughly I would start there as well as ordering some basic labwork. At a minimum I would ge a urine analysis, CBC, Sed Rate and perhaps a CRP. If that is negative I would perhaps do a pelvic sonogram just to be sure her uterus and ovaries are normal. If all of that if normal then it would be safe to try her on one of the medications for irritable bowel syndrome as that is probably the most common cause of chronic tummy aches in children and certainly with her history she is a prime candidate for that disorder. Her doctor can prescribe one of several safe medicines as a trial to see if they help: Zelnorm, Librax, Anaspaz, etc.

Again, it is unlikely that this is anything too serious if going on for a long time but the tests above can rule out problems that need further evaluation such as inflammatory bowel disorders, ulcer disease, etc.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
These pains first started a few weeks ago after she read a book for school that dealt with a father dying during Pearl Harbor. That night she was up until 3 am gagging and dry heaving. Does IBS start after something that is stressful? Will it go away? Would she have to stay on medication the rest of her life?
It can or may just be a "nervous stomach" due to anxiety. It will eventually resolve but if she did not have counseling after her father's death then that might help. Otherwise, a medication like Librax works well since it has both a med for the stomach and a mild anti-anxiety component in it as well.