Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 9 yr old son with no prior health history to

Customer Question
Hello. I have a 9 yr...
Hello.
I have a 9 yr old son with no prior health history to report. He started complaining about his legs feeling like they are going to give out on him since April 2010 subsequent to removal of a tooth and his blood pressure droppedm requiring oxygen in the dentist's office. I have noticed the complaints of leg weakness ever since, occurring more so after he has been doing some light exercise-like pitching or running. There are other times that he would just wake up and complain about the same thing though. This could be coincidental or not with the timing of this subsequent leg weakness problem. He had blood work done a month later because he continued to complain about this-just some slightly elevated triglycerides. I am now left with this lingering complaint of leg weakness with no rhyme or reason to it. He states it is not a pins and needles feeling- just that the leg muscles feel like they cannot hold the bones up. Any thoughts? He is 89lbs and 53 inches.Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/13/2010
Pediatrician: David L. Hill, MD, FAAP, Doctor replied 8 years ago
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP
Hi, Dr. Hill here. Thank you for posting to Just Answer. The complaint you describe is certainly quite concerning. Did the blood work include creatine kinase levels, sedimentation rate, or c-reactive protein?

i am not sure. The pediatrician advised me she wanted to check for the usual tests-white blood cell -infections, electrolyte and she checked A1-c- They were all fine.

I will request a copy of his blood work to check for the items you mention. What would make you want to check for the tests you mentioned?

What would make you think of these tests? Is there a possible diagnosis i should be focusing on and if so, would it be a neurologist or orthopedic or the pediatrician that would work towards the definitive diagnosis?
I would be thinking about looking at inflammatory diseases of the muscle, a group of diseases collectively called myositis. My other concern would be neurologic, most commonly muscular dystrophy, but there are other conditions of the brain, nerves, or muscles that may cause progressive weakness of the lower extremities. I would probably refer such a patient to a neurologist as opposed to an orthopedic surgeon.
If the three tests you previously mentioned were done and check out fine, does that steer your thought process in a different direction then? Lastly, the removal of the tooth just a coincidence with the leg problems starting right afterwards?
I have a hard time putting the tooth and the weakness together. The studies would rule out some of the issues, but not necessarily muscular dystrophy.