Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

We have a one month old baby that we have switched to the…

Customer Question
We have a one month...
We have a one month old baby that we have switched to the most mildest Similac formula for colic type babies. He spits up occasionally but it is the constant movement that he typically is doing. He can be sound asleep in your arms and all of a sudden his forehead crunches up and he either stretches his legs way out or pulls them up like he is in pain. He does not get a clear restful sleep between his bottles. It may take over an hour after the bottle to get him settled down. He then will repeatedly wake up and scream. We put the pacifier in his mouth but have to hold it in place until he appears to be sound asleep. This can repeat many times between the feedings. He has a bowel movement daily and he does feed every three to four hours. This new formula does appear to be causing less spit up. He has been on this for 5 days now. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/13/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hi there, and so sorry to hear of your troubles. This is a tough age, as it is just the right time for colic to start, but it can just as easily be reflux or even plain old gassiness! The hard part is figuring it out. First, please understand that all babies spit up, just to different extents...that being said, if he is happy while eating, and seems to take the bottle without difficulty, then he is probably not bothered by reflux. This is especially the case is he is gaining weight appropriately. Discomfort between bottles is very likely to be gas, and I have heard of some success with the use of mylicon infant drops, which are also called simethicone. Small, frequent pauses during a bottle to burp him might also help. Also, propping him up after feeds, rather than lying him flat will help. Consider putting a telephone book or a rolled up towel under his crib mattress to create such a position. Lastly, please keep in mind that if this is colic, there is very little to be done except for wait, soothe him as best you can, and know that it will pass. Bot***** *****ne: gaining weight, pooping, peeing? Not too much to worry about, though it can be frustrating for parents, I know firsthand! Hope this helps a little...