Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 8weeks old. doctor sais she suffers from

Customer Question
good afternoon my name is *****...
good afternoon
my name is ***** ***** my daughter is 8weeks old. doctor sais she suffers from reflux. She vomits a lot, she throus out even two-three hours after feed and cries loads in the day. She was on aptamil 1, but she would vomit everything out, even with gaviscon. Got domperidon for her but after giving it to her she screamed for two days i couldnt comfort her. So had to stop with it.Now she is on aptamil comfort, but is having problem with pooping. Also she still vomits a lot. I was wondering if she might be lactose intolerant. In her poo are harder whit bits that are different to the rest of her poo even though now on comfort she has less of those. Is it sign that there is something in the milk she cant digest? She is very windy, but doesnt pass wind easily.
Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/13/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Moscatel
Dr. Moscatel, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello, and so sorry to hear of your child's discomfort and difficulty- I know how hard this can be for you, as well. Here is some important information to understand. All babies have reflux, and the vast majority have resolution by 4-6 months of age. If she is gaining weight despite the problems she is having, then there is not much more that can be done, and the condition will lessen as she grows. Changing formulas has not been clinically shown to do much in terms of improvement. No medicines that you give her will stop the vomiting. What must be focused on is giving her something to relieve the discomfort. If she cries with feeds, then clearly it hurts to eat. I am not familiar with all of the medications you have tried, but please consider the use, if you have not already, of an acid blocker, such as zantac (generic in the u.s is ranitidine). Some of the other remedies, such as fennel and gripe water, have not been consistently proven to help, but I have heard anecdotal stories of success. The other thing to think about is that this could just be colic- and nothing but time and soothing on your part will solve that issue! Please remember also, that lactose intolerance in an infant is literally one in a million, so the chances of this are very remote. Again, as long as she is gaining weight, and as long as there is no blood in her poop, there is not too much to be seriously worried about. I know it is frustrating...I hope this helps a little.