Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 6yr old son had an appendectmoy on wed 2nd june (the

Customer Question
appendix was perfforated). He was...
my 6yr old son had an appendectmoy on wed 2nd june (the appendix was perfforated). He was discharged from hospital on wed 9th june. He is still suffering with severe stomach cramps and crys and screams when he goes to the toilet, even just to pass water. His temperature is often elivated but can be controlled with calpol and nurofen. he also has no appetite and it is a real struggle to get him to eat anything. He is of average height for his age but now weighs just slightly less than 18kg. Does he need to go back to the hospital or is there anything I do for him at home?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2010
Pediatrician: Dr Abby, Board Certified Family Physician replied 8 years ago
Dr Abby
Dr Abby, Board Certified Family Physician

I am sorry he is not feeling well.
Has he lost weight?
Is he urinating less?
Vomiting at all?
Is he on antibiotics right now?
Has he worsened since being discharged?

Dr abby
he has lost weight about 2kg or so. He is not vomiting or urinating less (just painfull) . He was given a five day cousrse of antibiotics through the IV in hospital, they finished on sun.
Thank you for the information,

Yes, I suggest that you take him in for evaluation.
It is possible that he has developed a urinary tract infection. As you may know, these can cause fever, abdominal pain and painful urination.
He should also have a repeat abdominal exam due to his severe cramping to rule out any abdominal obstruction.

I hope that he feels better.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!