Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

2 weeks ago, my daughter who is 3 months old, had a and it…

Customer Question
2 weeks ago, my daughter...
2 weeks ago, my daughter who is 3 months old, had a BM and it looked like apple jelly, I called her pediatrician and she said as long as there was no blood in it and she was acting fine that she should be ok, over the course of last week she continued to have small BM with small amounts of apple jelly like stools along with normal yelllow seedy BM. Now this week her stool is very stringy and sticky, and prior to all of this she would had 2-3 BM's every day, now she is only having a BM every 2-3 days. Tonight she was at my moms and had a crying fit for about an hour my mom said she seemed like she was in alot of pain and she was very gassey, She is strickly breast fed, expect for when I work on fridays, she is currently taking zantac 1.5 ml BID for reflux, and I am only taking prenatal vitamins. I am a NICU nurse so all of theses crazy thoughts are going thru my head, could you please help me, should I take her to her PCP in the am and get an abd xray/us I was thinking intusscesptio
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/12/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Sorry for the recent problem of your baby.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. You are right that some of her symptoms and criteria can mimic intussusception. Sometimes in constipation, there can be mucus in the stool which may give the jelly like appearance. Any infection is also needed to be ruled out. The symptoms has changed by 2 weeks. She is getting more frequent abdominal pain, though she is not having any vomiting or fever or any acute symptoms. As you are nurse, you can understand, without examination it is difficult to comment. I think it is a good decision to take her to her PCP. It is better to get it investigated to prevent any complication and early intervention if necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your daughter's healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Besides her BM, she is otherwise very happy, she does not have any symptoms of a cold or flu, the only thing is that somedays she drools more than other, do you think that she may need an increase in her dose of zantac, or could it be a side effect of the zantac, what are your thoughts about a food allergy from what I am eating, just your opinion. She has only had 2 episodes of crying and they have not been for me.

Abdominal pain or discomfort can be a side effect of zantac. Increase in its dose may not be helpful. Allergy may not be the cause . When stool frequency has decreased, constipation can be the precipitating factor.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
But she does not seem to be acting like she is constipated or in pain all the time, it seems like only when I am at work, does she have abdominal pain, we use playtex nursers do you think maybe trying a different bottle may help with the gas, or do you think that maybe i should try and wean her off the zantac i will talk to her pcp this am when I take her in but it still is nice to get another opinion
Playtex nurser is good. Sometimes the small baby can have psychological issue too. Separation anxiety may be a factor if no medical cause is detected. After examination by doctor and discussion, zantac can be reduced to see its effect.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.