Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 15 and has always been on the small side. He is 86…

Customer Question
My son is 15 and...
My son is 15 and has always been on the small side. He is 86 lbs. and 5' 1/2". He is athletic and energetic but his size is very troublesome to him. I am 5'4" and my husband is 5'9" or so. He has seen continous growth over the years but a little at a time. His size has become a problem for him emotionally...confidence etc.
How do I know whether he should be checked for a hormone deficiency as his pediatrician suggested etc? He is rarely sick, doesn't eat a whole lot...never has but I could use some help. Each year this situation b/c more difficult for him and I am at a loss.
Thanks
sue
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/11/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello S,

Sorry about your son's build.

You have not mentioned about puberty changes - beard, adam's apple, sex organs etc. All boys develop very fast during pubertal growth spurt. If he did not have onset of puberty by 13 or 14, you still have chance of him growing really significantly still.

Otherwise, to help him gain few inches more, you may have to take recourse to hormonal assessment and treatment.

How do I find out more info. on hormoanl assessement and treatment. I didn't mention puberty changes b/c he really hasn't had any. A few hairs here and there but that is about it. I realize he could still grow significantly but his past pediatrician lead me to believe if he doesn't hit some of those major puberty signs by now or by 16 then at 16 it is probably to late to even think about horomone treatment.

Pediatrician: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.

Recommend your son's pediatrician after a thorough physical exam get a bone age xray done. This will help determine whether your son is just slow to develop because that is him, or whether he may have a hormonal issue. Only then would I recommend checking blood tests of gonadotropins.

Best,