Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

MY GRANDAUGHTER HAS SUFFERED WITH WIND SINCE BIRTH. SHE IS…

Customer Question
hI MY GRANDAUGHTER HAS SUFFERED WITH...
hI
MY GRANDAUGHTER HAS SUFFERED WITH WIND SINCE BIRTH. SHE IS NOW 10 MONTHS OLD. SHE WAS BREAST FED FOR ABOUT EIGHT MONTHS AND IS NOW ON FORMULA ALONG WITH WEANING. SHE WAS ALSO VERY SICK FOR THE FIRST SIX-SEVEN MONTHS. SHE HAS SETTLED A LITTLE DURING THE DAY BUT WAKES DURING THE NIGHT AND SCREAMS WITH PAIN. SHE SOMETIMES BRINGS UP (AND DOWN) WIND BUT ALWAYS HAS TROUBLE WITH IT. I BABYSAT HER LAST NIGHT AND AROUND 10 SHE SUDDENLY STARTED SCREAMING WITH PAIN. WE HAVE TRIED GIVING HER GRIPE WATER AND INFACOL BUT NEITHER HAVE MUCH EFFECT.
CAN YOU HELP? IT IS SO DISTRESSING FOR RUBY AND ALSO FOR US. SHE IS SUCH A PLEASANT BABY WHEN SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE WIND.
THANKS
JOYCE WELSH
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/9/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. K., Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified Pediatrician
Thanks for your question. I think you should have your granddaughter evaluated for milk allergy and acid reflux, which both can cause these issues. This is NOT just colic as colic at the latest, goes away at 6-7 months. Switching hr to a hypoallergenic milk like nutramigen or alimentum may helpalleviate her symptoms.

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated.

HI

JUST TO GIVE YOU AN UPDATE, SHE DIDN'T SETTLE ALL LAST NIGHT AND MY DAUGHTER TELLS ME THAT AFTER GIVING HER INFACOL, SHE BROUGHT UP LOTS OF WIND - FROM BOTH ENDS. sHE SAID THAT SHE COULD HEAR HER STOMACH SWISHING AND BUBBLING AND ALSO THAT WHEN SHE PUT HER HAND ON HER TUMMY, SHE COULD FEEL IT.

COULD IT BE PURELY WIND AND IF SO, WOULD THERE BE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE, OR IS YOUR DIAGNOSIS STILL THE SAME?

REGARDS

JOYCE WELSH

I would stand by my diagnosis. I think that milk protein allrgy and reflux are common culprits that need to be addressed in this scenario. Commonly, when children this age cry, they swallow air and then have wind from above and below. This is a consequence of the irritability caused by an underlyin process and not the actual cause.

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPTand a BONUS would be greatly appreciated

Hi

CAN YOU TELL ME, IF IT WAS A MILK ALLERGY DOES THAT MEAN SHE WAS ALLEGIC TO BREAST MILK? WOULD IT BE MILK ALLERGY OR LACTOSE INTOLERANCE?

MY DAUGHTER HAS NOTICED THAT IF SHE HAS EATEN YOGHURT, SHE WILL BE VERY WINDY AND CRYING WITH PAIN.

SHE HAS BEEN TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND IS BEING REFERRED TO A PAEDIATRICIAN. SHOULD SHE INSIST THAT A MILK INTOLERANCE/ALLERGY IS TESTED FOR?

SHE HAS NOT KEPT A BOTTLE DOWN ALL DAY TODAY AND JUST 10 MINUTES AGO SHE WAS CRYING AND SAT UP IN HER COT. SHE WAS PASSING WIND FROM HER BOTTOM. IT IS SO DISTRESSING.

REGARDS

JOYCE WELSH

Its actually an intolerance to the protein in milk. It can occur in breast fed infants as well. I usually have my patients switch to a hypoallergic formula called nutramigen or alimentum. If the mom does not want to stop breastfeeding, I advise to cut all dairy products out of the diet.
If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated

HI

I DID SAY IN THE FIRST E-MAIL THAT THE BABY HAS BEEN ON FORMULA AND WEANING SINCE EIGHT MONTHS SO I'M NOW UNSURE WHETHER YOU HAVE ASSESSED THE SITUATION BASED ON THIS. I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE STORY.

HOWEVER, REMEMBERING THAT SHE IS NOW ON FORMULA, ARE YOU OF THE SAME OPINION?

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTOLERANCE AND ALLERGY?

REGARDS

JOYCE WELSH

I absolutely have the same opinion regarding the formula. If this was my patient I would recommend a switch to a hypoallergenic formula called nutramign or alimentum (available OTC). The difference between intolerance an allergy is that allergy is a specific reaction characterized by particular immune mechanism. Intolerance is when the gut does not digest the proteins properly, causing discomfort , sometimes causing bloody stools, gas and crankiness.