Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 8 and had a lump on her right elbow. It got…

Customer Question
My daughter is 8 and...
My daughter is 8 and had a lump on her right elbow. It got bumped and white puss like fluid came out. We soaked it in epson salt, used peroxide and put molasses on a bandaid to cover it. Now a few days later it's almost gone, but she noticed another bump on the same arm. It's between her armpit and elbow on the inside. It's about the size of a dime and is tender when you push on it. It feels deep and attached to the muscle. I don't know what kind of Doctor should even look at it. She is in gymnastics but she doesn't think she injured it. I must also say I'm in the process of looking into health insurance and I am afraid to get it checked as it may be considered pre-existing. Is this an emergency to get checked right away or do you think I could wait a few weeks until the insurance kicks in?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/9/2010
Pediatrician: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dear JACUSTOMER-0y0obn5v-

I am an orthopedic surgeon and deal with such lumps.

It is not prudent to wait for few weeks as this can be an abscess which is deep seated and may require immediate attention.Even if it is not an abscess it requires early attention and treatment.
You should see an orthopedic surgeon for this.

Should I skip the pediatrician and go staight to the orthopedic surgeon? I thought orthopedic surgeons deal more with bones and joints rather than muscles.

To lance a deep ascess does the person get put under?

Pediatrician: Dr. S, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. S
Dr. S, Board Certified Pediatrician
You are right in questioning whether an orthopedic surgeon is the first person to see. Many times these 'masses' turn up being nothing more than a reactive lymph node and not an abscess or tumor. It is more concerning that the mass appears fixed to the muscle. This is not typical of lymph nodes. They tend to be a firm nodule that moves under skin and is not 'fixed' to the muscle. It of course could be an abscess that is from the prior infection. In those cases, a general pediatric surgeon would be able to take care of the issue. And - yes, the patient would have to be placed under general anesthesia unless the abscess was quite superficial and can be accessed by just local anesthetics. The only time an orthopedic surgeon would be consulted in this case would be if the pediatrician determined that the mass was somehow attached to the bone. To determine this, xrays and/or CT/MRI imaging would determine this. I do agree though that this is not 'emergent' but should not wait weeks to be evaluated. You should make an appointment to be seen by a pediatrician in the next few days. The main concern is if it is due to an active infection. If there is redness, swelling, red streaks, tenderness, or fever then antibiotics should be prescribed as soon as possible as well as some form of imaging of the arm. In the future, it is not recommended to put molasses on a wound. The sugar in the molasses can provide food for bacteria and lead to bacteria infecting wounds.
Dr. S
Dr. S, Board Certified Pediatrician