Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have an eleven month old that has been sick most of the…

Customer Question
I have an eleven month...
I have an eleven month old that has been sick most of the last 6 months. He has been treated for bronchitis several times and was hospitalized with pneumonia for 5 days at the end of April. We give him breathing treatments 4 times a day still and his temp goes up and down all the time. Now the last few weeks he has started sleeping quite a bit more some times he is only up 2 or 3 hours at a time. I don't know what I should do now! Could this be allergies or asthma? Should we find a different Dr. maybe?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/9/2010
Pediatrician: Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you. It sounds to me like he needs to see a specialist: either a pulmonologist or probably an allergist to evaluate him further. It could be that he has an immune defect that is quite common called Selective IgA deficiency, where kids lack a particular immune factor that helps fight off respiratory and gastrointestinal infections. This could be tested for by his doctor by just drawing blood for quantitative immunoglobulins. You can't treat it but they do outgrow it and at least you would have an explanation for all of his illnesses and peace of mind that it will get better. An allergist or pulmonologist might also do a sinus CT scan to look for chronic sinusitis or polyps that could be causing all his problems. Ask for a referral if your pediatrician is unwilling to do these evaluations.

When we received the results from his newborn blood tests (the heel stick and card at the hospital) we were surprised that he needed to be retested twice. I don't know what the first test showed exactly but the second test was positive for sickle cell anemia. That test was done at 4 mo and at that time our pediatrician consulted a pediatric hematologist. We were told that he just had a really rare type of hemoglobin and it would never affect him. Do you think its a possibility that might have something to do with his constantly being sick? Maybe I should ask more questions about that?

It is not unusual for babies to need followup newborn screening blood tests as they are designed not to miss any positive tests and therefore have lots of "false" positive results. No, the hemoglobin variant would not be an issue that I can think of.