Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 year old has not had a bowel movement in 2 days, and

has not urinated in 12...
My 3 year old has not had a bowel movement in 2 days, and has not urinated in 12 hours. She has had very little appetite the past few days, but has been drinking just fine. This afternoon, she vomited once, then was fine. No fever. No other symptoms, other than a cold a week ago. Should I be concerned about this?
3/7/2010
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,

Sorry for the problem with your daughter. I shall try my best to explain the condition. Not having a bowel movement in 2 days may not be matter of concern as you are aware of it. But not having any urination in 12 hours , needs urgent attention by doctor. If she takes adequate water, in spite of, there is no urine, the cause should be find out. There may problem in formation of urine or any obstruction in the out flow tract. Vomiting once should not cause such dehydration. You should take her to ER for examination, investigations to get the precise diagnosis and intervention if necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your daughter's healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
What are some things that may be causing her to not urinate? We live in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest decent ER is about an hour away.
The first and common cause of not urinating is inadequate intake, or excess loss of fluid like vomiting, diarrhea. When you have excluded those, then other cause of kidney disease affecting formation of urine or any obstruction in the out flow tract. You can give her fluid adequately. Give warm and cold compression in the lower abdomen alternately. But It is safer to go ahead for ER as early as possible.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician