Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

12 year old boy has pain when urinating. The skin on the tip

of the penis is sore...
12 year old boy has pain when urinating. The skin on the tip of the penis is sore, red, dry and stings. He doesn't want to go to the dr!
9/15/2009
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
If the tip of his penis (urethral meatus) is sore then it is probably just pain from the urine passing through the irritated area. I would get a hydrocortisone cream from the pharmacy and have him apply it to the area, even inside the opening, a couple of times a day for 2-3 days to see if it stops it. If not, then he needs a urine analysis to be sure he does not have an infection, though they are not common in boys. If this were about a girl I would send you to her doctor, but in his case you can just try the above advice first and I bet it clears up quickly.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician