Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 year old is on day 9/10 of bactrim for a first time

Customer Question
UTI. She has now started...
My 3 year old is on day 9/10 of bactrim for a first time UTI. She has now started high fevers over 24 hours about every 8 hours. Her urinalysis was clear at her follow up visit yesterday. Two other children in the house have a virus causing one or two fevers and nasal congestion. My 3 year old is getting more and more irritable. She is crying and says she is sick but nothing hurts. She is urinating. Her initial urinalysis had blood and protein in the urine. My question is: could she have a kidney infection even though her urine now only shows trace leukocytes, or is this more likely the virus that's in the house even though she has no nasal congestion? Also, she will be going for a renal ultrasound on Thursday as part of her follow up from the UTI. Can she go with continuous fevers until Thursday?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
8/25/2009
Pediatrician: Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
If her followup urine was clear she still needs a repeat culture done a few days off the antibiotic but she likely just has the same virus the others have right now. Just give her motrin to help the fever and irritability and it will not affect the sono on Thursday.

If she has had previous UTIs and her doctor did not mention a voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG) you might mention that as it gives more information about the collecting system (ureter, bladder) and it is best at detecting reflux of the urine from the bladder up the urethra to the kidneys. The sono only looks at the size and shape of the bladder and kidneys but does not detect reflux which is the most common problem leading to recurrent infections.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician