Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 13 year old son has been bothered because his breasts are

developing more like a girls'...
My 13 year old son has been bothered because his breasts are developing more like a girls'. At what point should he be examined by a doctor? We have noticed this for about three years now.
Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello and thank you for your post. Before I try to help, a few questions please: is he otherwise healthy? Is he obese? Does he take any medications? How is his growth and development? Please let me know and I will get back to you. Thank you, ***** *****
He is healthy in every way. He is about 5'8" and weighs 135 pounds. He wrestles and runs cross-country. His voice has deepened and he looks a little older than his age - at least compared to his classmates. (His father and I are both teachers so we see lots of students his age.)

Ok, thank you for the additional information. This is actually very common in teenage boys (up to half of them have it to some degree) and the medical term is "gynecomastia." It is usually due to hormonal fluctuations in adolescence. It can also be due to obesity but this doesn't sound like it's the case with your son. Although it can be embarrassing, there are usually no medical therapies that need to be undertaken. There is more information available to you here.(written by a pediatric endocrinologist)

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/guys/boybrst.html#

Clearly if there are other concerns about pubertal development (which again do not sound to be the case), then he should be thoroughly evaluated.

I hope this is helpful and reassuring to you (not sure if it will be reassuring to your son, but either is acne). If there is anything else I can help with, please do let me know. Best wishes to him and to you. Thank you, ***** *****

Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician
Dr. David, Board Certified Pediatrician