How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Louise Sivak, M.D. Your Own Question
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 3499
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Ped Hematology/Oncology
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Louise Sivak, M.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My baby has blood coming out of her vagina, she is 9 months

Customer Question

my baby has blood coming out of her vagina, she is 9 months old.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 8 years ago.


Please describe in more detail what you mean. Is there blood in the pee or poop? Is there a skin tear?

Whn did you first notice this?

Are you breastfeeding your daughter? If so, are you taking any medications or over-the-counter supplements?

Thank you,

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is coming from her vagina...she is not being breastfed, no medications being taken, and also she has a provisional diagnosis of Freeman Sheldon Syndrome.! There is no skin tear, and her little breasts are swollen, and there is hair growth on her privates and her nipples...she is 10 months old on 18th May. thanks
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 8 years ago.


Your daughter should be seen by her pediatrician for this issue. She may need an ultrasound test as well as some blood tests done.

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Baby was seen by a pediatrician for this issue, but he was unable to do anything because of the Freeman Sheldon provional diagnosis, and a gynaecologist woudlnt deal with her either because of her age. The problem in Ireland is that there is no one to deal with Freeman Sheldon Syndrome. She had a high fever on Friday, and feberile convulsions as well as seizures...was treated as if for meningitis..but when blood cultures came back they were clear on Sunday.....Sunday evening she started passing blood and has continued to do so since, though less than at the beginning. They dont know how to treat her and are looking for an endrocrinolgist who may be able to help with what blood tests to do...because of the F.S.S. provisional diagnosis and the danger of Malignant Hyperthermia they have to be cautious taking bloods and with medication and aneasthesia....there is no one in Ireland, England, Europe who can deal with F.S.S. and a query has been sent to a Dr. Basmad in U.S.A. but in the meantime the little one is still passing blood.
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 8 years ago.

hello ssangyongactonyon,

I am sorry you are going through this with your little one!

My review of the literature did not turn up a specific name who might be an "authority" on treatment of this disorder, nor any association with vaginal bleeding. Agree with your doctors' contacting an endocrinologist and / or geneticist in US or elsewhere who may be helpful.

In the meantime, your daughter's trace vaginal bleeding is not an immediate medical concern for blood loss or discomfort. I wish you all the best in quickly finding the right specialists to help!

The smartest best Geneticist I ever met is John C. Carey MD at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.

Louise Sivak, M.D.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are based in Southern Ireland.
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I was thinking you can contact him via e-mail. Look up the University of Utah website if you are interested.

Louise Sivak, M.D.