Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 5 year old neice has blood in her stool. Her pediatrician

Customer Question
my 5 year old neice...
my 5 year old neice has blood in her stool. Her pediatrician didn't know what it was and is sending her to a specialist. How serious is this and what are the possible causes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/24/2009
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 8 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
I am a pediatrician.
Blood in the stools of a 5 year old can range from simple things like anal tear due to constipation, infections, hemorrhoids, polyps in the gut, and even meckel's diverticulum.
A colonoscopy maybe planned in case of a fresh bleed to look of for the site and the cause of the bleeding.
For a more comprehensive review, read here
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/802064-overview
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician