Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son just turned 14 yrs old and he showed me yesterday his…

my son just turned 14...
my son just turned 14 yrs old and he showed me yesterday his rib cage and the two last rib cages has one, the left side that looks lumpier than the other side, can this be something bad.
2/2/2009

Greetings.

Chest wall or rib cage deformities are quite common and usually do not denote any serious problems, especially if they are not associated with any symptoms. The chest x-ray and upper back x-ray are done for the evaluation. Some spine/upper back curve changes are associated with the rib cage deformities. If the problems are mild; no treatment is done and only good exercises and sporting activities are advised.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

my concern is that the lump is in the middle area where the ribs meet but on the left side, I read that theres a disorder called Pectus carinatum is it possible that my son is developing this disorder, thank you.
I looked at my sons rib cage and the lump is over the first rib cage on the right hand side close to the middle, so should i be worry or just take him for an evaluation with his pediatrician.

Diagnosis of pectus carinatum is clinical and is based on physical inspection of the chest. So, without examining, it is very difficult to give a diagnosis. With the description, it does not look like a typical of pectus carinatum, if it is, it would be of a very mild variety. Do you think this lump is bony hard or soft or fluid filled? Is it mobile all over? If it is not bony and is mobile, this is unlikely to be related to the rib cage. An examination with his pediatrician would be prudent.

It is pleasure assisting you.

Dr. Arun

it feels like a less than 2 inches muscle mass projected more than the other side. I would take him this week for a check up, thank you.

This can be lipoma, dermoid cyst, which are benign swelling are not worrisome.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with your answer.

Good luck!

Dr. Arun