Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Is it normal for my 2 year old to be "humping" people as a

form of masturbation? i know...
is it normal for my 2 year old to be "humping" people as a form of masturbation? i know that he is not being molested... I check him everyday and I am very careful of who he is around. I just want to know if it's normal and if not how do I get him to stop?
1/14/2009
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor

Humping may be considered as a form of masturbation.

Most kids recognize some form of sexual pleasure around 2 - 4 years old.

This activity subsides around 3-4 years of age. There is no need to overreact.

lt;p>Well he mostly does it to my mom. From time to time he does it to others. But he likes to pull up his shirt while humping and also gives long kisses. I just want to be abosutly sure that it's nothing. He has walked in on my husband and I. Once at 12 months and once at 15 months. Could this be a reason why he does it?</p>

As I have mentioned there is no need to overeract.

During the course of development this phase of sexual exploration will dispappear.

Kids of this age learn important sexual attitudes from you - from how you react to people of the opposite sex.

basically I should just let nature run it's course and leave him alone?

Yes.

It's not a good idea to scold him as this will only prompt a sense of guilt and shame.

Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor
Okay, I will try. Thanks for your time.
Thank you!
How do I know if you were paid or not? I accepted the anwer but the money has not been subtracted from my account

I already received the money including the bonus. Thanks for that.

Inbetween you were trying to post another question which has vanished now and may be this has got something to do with that.

For help you can contact Justanswer moderators.

Okay.... Thanks again
You are welcome.
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor