Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

3 year old has red area around anus and has been on two

Customer Question
different antibiotics for a suspected...
3 year old has red area around anus and has been on two different antibiotics for a suspected Strep infection. After 1 round of antibiotic, a culture showed no signs of strep. After 2nd round of antibiotic, the condition improved but then came back. Did a scotch tape test for pin worms and came out negative. We are now treating the red area with hydrocortisone cream and Desitin on top for now a week and it still looks the same. It fades some at times but still very distinct area of color around anus.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
12/17/2008
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 9 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
I am a pediatrician,
Peri-anal redness can be due to many reasons,
Stool sticking to the anal region is a likely cause for this problem.
This would cause chemical irritation, since the stools are acidic, and this would lead to redness.
So the most important things that I normally recommend are changing diapers frequently, and washing off the stools regularly and gently (preferably with lots of water & minimal wiping).
Also a barrier cream like Zinc Oxide is recommended for the same. Also try asking your doctor for zinc orally since this would help in reducing the rash too.
Steroid creams would be useful as a short term measure,
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
she is potty trained and I use a a non-scented hypoalergenic wipe to get her clean after a BM.
Thanks for the update,
I would consider giving her ZINC and a probiotic in this situation and applying a barrier cream too.
Talk to your pediatrician about these,
Regards
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician