Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Can you give liquid Tylenol to a 4 month old baby

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
11/21/2008
Pediatrician: caffemaven, Doctor replied 9 years ago
caffemaven
caffemaven, Doctor
You can. The easiest thing you can do is buy the infant drops, and follow the directions on the bottle. Alternatively, if you are using childrens tylenol, you give 7 milligrams for every pound of body weight. So if your child is 6 pounds you would give 42 milligrams (7 x 6 = 42 mg). It will be harder to measure this out so it would be easier to buy the infant drops. But it's the exact same medicine.
If you round off (say to 45 milligrams) it is no big deal.

Remember, I am telling you the dose in milligrams. Typically there are 160 milligrams in each teaspoon of tylenol. You have to check the bottle you have.
Pediatrician: FamilyPhysician, Doctor replied 9 years ago
FamilyPhysician
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is best dosed based on your child's weight. At 4 months of age, I usually recommend the infant drops rather than the elixir since it comes with a calibrated dropper.

The dropper has two marks (0.4 and 0.8 ml)

For your 4 month old child the dose is likely going to be 0.8 ml (assuming that their weight is in the range of 12-17 pounds.

This is a complete dosing chart for acetaminophen from the American Academy of Pediatrics.
http://www.aap.org/patiented/acetaminchart.htm
FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Doctor