How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  Physician / Surgeon in Neurosurgery, with experience in Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Neurosurgery
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 year old son complains about pain on his upper right

Resolved Question:

My 3 year old son complains about pain on his upper right thigh, just about up to the hip area. He will not let anyone touch or move him, he walks with a limp if he is able to walk at all. He has this problem a few weeks ago and I took him to a dr. but xray did not show anything and all that was given to us was tylenol with codeine. what could this be?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
I guess there is no chance that this could be injury/trauma related?

If not, your doctor had the xray done to make sure there was no fracture, problems with bone tumors, or changes in the bones that could suggest infection or "avascular necrosis".

If he is not having a fever or look infected, many of the reasons for hip pain in a child can be ruled out:

septic hip joint
toxic synovitis

If the pains don't improve, without anything pointing to a cause (pains from musculoskeletal injury will improve) then further imaging may be necessary, which could include a CT or MRI of the area.

One of the diseases that should be kept in the back of the mind, because it affects young children is "Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease":
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
you can feel the tight muscle in the inner thigh, maybe just a pulled muscle or cramp, i have rubbed some muscle cream rub and gave him a banana and of course gave him his tylenol, he is moving a LITTLE but not enough on his own....should i go to a doctor tomorrow or just wait it out to see if he gets better, i just don't know if there is anything the doctor can do
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 9 years ago.
If it is just a muscle cramp, or strain of the area, I would expect that this would be improving with time (a few weeks) and not cause so much pain that he can't walk on his own. If this pain has indeed been going on now for the past few weeks without relief, I would be inclined to have him revisit his pediatrician for another exam, to see if there could be something else going on here.
Dr. Mark and other Pediatrics Specialists are ready to help you