Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

How do we teach our son about his "inside" voice?

Customer Question
How do we teach our...
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Parenting
5/30/2018
Parenting Counselor: Cher, Teacher replied 2 months ago
Cher
Cher, Teacher

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

The best way to teach your son about his "inside" voice, is by being his best example. When inside the house or any other appropriate place where an inside voice should be used, speak to him softly. You can even play a game where you whisper to each other and see who can speak at the lowest volume and still be heard.

You can teach him that there are areas where he's allowed to use his 'outside' voice, like the backyard or outside at the playground, but when you go back inside your house, or a restaurant, for example, remind him to use his inside voice. Never encourage him or reward him for using his outside voice, inside; however, when he uses his inside voice appropriately, you can reward with a sticker or inexpensive toy.

When you're in your own house or outside at a venue that requires an inside voice, and you see other children and/or adults speaking appropriately, point this out to him as a good example for him to learn.

If he continues to use his outside voice, indoors, bring him to an area where he can feel free to increase his volume, like outside your house or in a quiet place (if you're outside), away from others, so he can 'get it out of his system,' and then return to the inside space.

Constantly remind him, just by saying quietly, 'indoor voice' when he forgets.

Make sure not to yell or speak loudly inside the house, when you want him to do something, like clean up his toys or come to eat a meal. Find him and speak to him in your indoor voice and he will soon come to understand the concept.

I hope you found my answer helpful and please take a moment to rate positively with 5 stars, as that is the only I will be credited by the website for my assistance. If you need further information, simply click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue our conversation, even after you have rated. There is no additional cost for follow-up questions in this thread. Thank you so much!

Kind regards,

Cher

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in with you to make sure you received my answer.

Did you find it helpful and/or need any additional information?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher

Hi, again.

I haven't heard back from you, so I assume you don't require any further information. If you do, just click 'reply', asap and I will be glad to continue to help.

Did you find my answer helpful? If so, please let me know or rate positively, with 5 stars, as that is the only way I am compensated by the website for my time and assistance. Thank you, ***** ***** greatly appreciate it!

Best regards,

Cher