Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

Our son, who is in grade 3, has severe dyslexia, as well as…

Our son, who is in...
Our son, who is in grade 3, has severe dyslexia, as well as dysgraphia) which was diagnosed in grade one, but through the psych assessment we also learned he has extremely high cognitive ability. For the majority of grade one and two our son was tutored off site at a "reading clinic" for four hours every day. Unfortunately, we had enrolled Matthew in a spanish immesion program in Kindergarden and this only caused more issues. We hesitate to change the school because ***** *****ked the school and was well accepted. Matthew didn't have that many good friends at this school, but he still liked going and didn't really want to change - but he hated spanish.. At this point, he still has a daily tutor but it is before school starts. This school year we changed him to a science charter school, which he actually likes, but he told he on Christmas Eve...in a matter of fact way...that everyone calls him stupid, and some are calling him fat. He said his friend Gavin was saying all of these things too. When I said perhaps he shouldn't be friends with this boy - his response was well then I won't have any friends. Matthew has a good sense of humour, but does get along with adults better than kids his own age. I was very saddedend by what Matthew told me and I am now thinking we should change him to a private school that deals with Learning Disabilities and/or Gifted Kids...because wouldn't it be easier for him to be around kids that have the same challenges. I also know that the public/charter school system has little to now funds for special needs. This said, I also don't want to be changing his schools in a willy nilly basis because that could cause its own issues, so I am feeling quite conflicted. I am looking for some advice.
12/30/2017
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Thank you for being so open about things and I hear a lovely young boy in Matthew. Sadly this kind of behavior at school with other kids exists everywhere and the grass always seems greener. My suggestion would be as a first step is to enlist the school by sending an email and requesting a face to face meeting. In that meeting, let them know what is happening with the other kids and what additional services he needs. Let's give the school a chance to make some changes and respond to all of his needs. How does that sound?

I await your thoughts.

If all good for now, please take a moment to click the rating faces to rate my support. You are not charged again for doing so but without it, I will not receive credit for my support. Thanks for understanding.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
TherapistJen
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC