Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

My three year old turning four in September still isn't

my three year old turning...
my three year old turning four in September still isn't potty trained. When he was two and a half his grandmother saw that he accidentally pooped his pants had lost her mind held him on the toilet and yelled at him cause he had an accident this has terrified him of the toilet and now he screams whenever you put him on it.
He was also almost potty trained before this happened. How do me and the mother go about re-potty training him?
Sorry about the grammar typed this up on my phone and hit enter before re reading it. If you have any questions just ask.
12/3/2017
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

I am sorry to hear about this for your son. It sounds like that experience terrified him as you say and now has a lot of anxiety around the toilet. Does he use the toilet at all? I might try and removing all pressure and talk of the toilet and see if without any pressure that he might come to it n his own. You might even have him join you in the bathroom but without saying a word about it and make that time in the bathroom fun and silly so that he begins to associate happy and positive feelings about being in the bathroom. If he feels forced in any way then this could increase his anxiety and resistance.

The other option you have is to keep one of those portable potties around and set up a reward system for sitting on it...even if he doesn't go. If he sits on it for 3 minutes 2x a day you can offer him some type of reward/incentive. You can place the potty in front of the tv so he feels comfortable and not frightened.

Either choice do not force of try to persuade him...if he sits, great and if he doesn't then that is okay too. We want him to feel in control and safe about the whole thing.

We don't pressure him into going we both understand that we can't force him into anything our only problem is the he starts school in September so we worry he won't be ready and may get picked on for it.

You still have some time. try the above suggestions and let see if over time things can feel a bit less scary for him.

TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC