Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

Far, I have only read chapter one of the book titled" Eyre"

far, I have only read...
far, I have only read chapter one of the book titled "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. In chapter one, ***** *****, the son of the Reed family, scolds Jane Eyre for reading one of the Reed family's books. ***** ***** goes on to say to Jane Eyre that she was left alone in the streets to take care of herself when the Reed family took her in. ***** ***** goes on to tell Jane Eyre that she should be thankful that she is getting food, clothing, and shelter from the Reed family, and shouldn't expect more to be treated like she's part of the Reed family when the Reed family did her the favor of taking her in. When I read this, I was just wondering because I like to study psychology: Without saying what the rest of the book is about, since I still haven't finished reading the book yet, is a living arrangement like Jane Eyre's healthy? If not, what kind of problems can it cause? Thank you.
11/21/2017
Cher
Cher, Teacher

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hi, Jaime!

Since you've only read chapter one of the book, and without revealing anything further, I don't think Jane's living arrangement at the Reed's is healthy, as they consider her beneath them, 'class-wise,' and treat her badly, and not as an equal. They make her feel guilty that they took her in, when she was orphaned and had no place else to go. This adversely affects her self-esteem, but also angers her and she is feisty and will not tolerate the words of the Reed's son, when he reprimands her for reading one of their books. She doesn't feel safe or comfortable there and can't wait to leave, when 'boarding school' is mentioned for her.

I hope this helped and I can't reveal anything further, because you've only read chapter one.

As you progress with the book, I would be happy to help you further, if you request me by name (For Cher Only) to begin your post.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This is how I analyzed it. What do you think?1. What is the Reed family's motive for taking her in?
2. In my opinion, the answer "because they are nice people" wouldn't be a good answer to question 1 because I think that the way the Reed family treats Jane Eyre and/or the way the Reed family allows her to be treated is "NOT" consistent with the way one would think "nice people" would treat her. On the other hand, the way the Reed family treats Jane Eyre is very consistent with the motive of wanting to control and/or manipulate someone.
3. Even if Jane Eyre tries to be thankful just for the food, clothing, and shelter alone, experts usually say that Jane Eyre's lifespan will be shorter without feeling that she's serving a purpose (via meaningful work) and/or enjoying precious moments with loved ones.
4. Some would maybe encourage Jane Eyre to escape via getting married. However, when one gets married, one has to be careful that one isn't going from the skillet to the frying pan.
5. Some would maybe encourage Jane Eyre to escape by getting a job. However, there are other factors involved such as job references, especially if the Reed family talks bad about her to prospective employers, and all of that.What do you think? Do you have anything that you would like to add to that?Thank you.

I agree with almost everything you state here, but again, because you haven't read past chapter 1, it's difficult to give my opinion on these items without revealing more of the book/story.

Women, at that time, were not encouraged to work, but maintain the home, and the men were the breadwinners. Regarding getting married, just for the sake of getting out of that house, you're absolutely correct; she could possibly end up going from the frying pan into the fire (I think this is the expression you wanted to use), so things would get worse for her.

I hope this helped you further!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Teacher

Thanks so much for your great rating; it is truly appreciated!

Cher
Cher
Cher, Teacher