Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

The internet says that when actress, Bette ******, passed…

The internet says that when...

The internet says that when actress, Bette ******, passed away, she disinherited her daughter, B.D. *******, because B.D. ****** wrote a book about her saying that she was a drunk and all of that. In B.D. ******'s case, she was an adult (about 38 I think) when she talked bad about her mother. However, my question is this: As a parenting expert, if B.D. ******* would have been 16 years old when she did what she did, do you think that Bette Davis's punishment would have been too harsh? In law, they say that when an offender is 16 years old, "rehabilitation" should be the objective, and not "punishment." Thank you.

11/21/2017
legalg
legalg, Teacher
That is an interesting point. While most legal scholars would agree that rehabilitation is the objective over punitive measures for minors, the law does allow for juveniles to be tried as an adult in extreme situations.Also in law there is criminal law and then civil. Disinheriting a child would be a civil issue (i.e. to be addressed in probate court). The goal of civil court is to make sure a party gets whatever they are legally entitled to, whereas criminal law is focused on punishment or rehabilitation depending on the age of the party and the offense.So it would be difficult to determine what is proper per se, but if a parent dies and they are not insolvent the minors representative can put a claim into that estate for the minors expected living expenses until age 18 as a parent has a financial obligation to support their child.
legalg
legalg, Teacher