Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

My 2 yrs old just started climbing out her bed 3 nights ago.

Hi, My 2 yrs...

Hi, My 2 yrs old just started climbing out her bed 3 nights ago. We switched her bed to toddler bed last night with side railing but then she refused to sleep in it. We had to put back her crib side but then she is still climbing out of it. What can I do?

Expert's Assistant: I should have chatted with the Psychologist on a daily basis with my two kids. And maybe about my brothers, too. You are so doing the right thing getting in touch with one of them. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?

Hi, My 2 yrs old just started climbing out her bed 3 nights ago. We switched her bed to toddler bed last night with side railing but then she refused to sleep in it. We had to put back her crib side but then she is still climbing out of it where it's not even safe. What can I do?

11/13/2017
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I am reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

I would probably go ahead and go with the toddler bed, since she is crawling out of the crib anyway. Make her room safe and maybe put a gate in the doorway. Make sure you can hear her, maybe a baby monitor. Does that make sense?

We did switched to toddler bed but she refused to sleep in it to the point that she's freaking out when we put her down.

I know that is tough, but for her own safety, you probably need to get her used to it now. You are going to have to sooner or later anyway. Try some different tactics. Read her a story at bedtime. Stay at her door and put her to bed every time she crawls out. I know that seems harsh. but you have to get her used to sleeping in her bed.

John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)