Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

I am staying at my inlaws house in Portugal. The house is…

I am staying at my...
I am staying at my inlaws house in Portugal. The house is neat but dirty. I am with my husband and 15 month old son. We are scheduled to stay here 2 weeks. I can smell and feel the dust in the bed that the three of us are sleeping in.I cannot imagine staying here the entire time but I do not want our son to sleep and breathe in so much dust and dirt. If I can feel it in my nose and lungs, I'm sure it is worse for him.I do not know how to tell my husband that I want to sleep in a hotel. How do I get him to respect my wishes and safety concern for our son without insulting his family?
9/28/2017
Cher
Cher, Teacher

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again and thanks for your patience.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this difficult situation.

If your son is coughing, sneezing or has trouble swallowing, you can tell your husband that he seems to be allergic to something in the house and you feel, for the sake of his health, you should stay in a hotel.

If your son is not having any outward symptoms, perhaps YOU can be the one with the symptoms and start coughing on a steady basis.

You can tell him, 'I mean no disrespect to your family, after all, they were kind enough to allow us to stay here, but there's something I'm allergic to and can't stop coughing and my throat feels sore,' and you can speak in a raspy voice, like you have laryngitis. Just tell him you're having trouble breathing, in the house.

I hope you found this helpful and you will be able to move to a hotel, where you'll be more comfortable.

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Cher
Cher, Teacher
Thank you Cher. I think I feel my throat getting sore.

You're most welcome! You need a better air environment for that sore throat!! : )

Your excellent rating is most appreciated; thank you so much!