Parenting

Have parenting questions? Ask a parenting counselor for answers

My five year old has gone from a sweet girl doing well in…

Customer Question
My five year old has...
My five year old has gone from a sweet girl doing well in school to wanting to stay home and having bad behavior days at school. She has been hitting and kicking and back talking to the teacher and aid and had sit down strikes and has lost recess and when put in time out she rips things off the wall. We have tried to take things away and talk to her about it but seems when she has snow days or a weekend away from school she gets trown off again. Hoping for some insight.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Parenting
3/1/2016
Parenting Counselor: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 2 years ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Good morning. Sometimes a change in routine or being sick can cause a child to take a few steps back in terms of behavior. It seems like she is responding to something...any changes, events or illness..even a little cold. You are correct that the snow days or weekends can bring this up. She might be missing all of you and because they are not equipped yet at this age to truly understand what they are feeling or express it, they act out in this way. right now, she is getting a lot of attention around this behavior..talking, loss of privileges and even though these are negative, it is still attention for her. If boundaries in the house are loose or routines change then things can feel unpredictable and so more consistency might be helpful. I would try and ignore as much of the behavior as you can and ask the teachers what other methods can be put in place to keep her engaged and involved in things. When is she talking back..is the teacher asking her to do something she doesn't want to do? It feels the same to me...she is feeling a bit out of control and trying to see what her limits are and gain some control. Working with the teacher to come up with strategies to help her feel like she is involved could be very helpful. Enlist her rather than punish her. "I need you to be my helper, can you do that?" She feels needed, wanted and can desire to do more.

Let me know your thoughts. If all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time. Thanks in advance.

Jen