How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have been seperated from my husband for 3 years. He

Customer Question

Hello I have been seperated from my husband for 3 years. He has a drinking and drug problem where he goes weeks and will not cfunction. We have a daughter and I don't want him alone with her. He says he is fine and that god will help him. He acts like if nothing happened. What can I do?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
I am sorry you find yourself in this worrisome position and that your husband does not have insight into his problem. Your only recourse is in the legal system. You may need to file for divorce and in the process express your concerns to the courts about his health and behavior. The courts can require that visits be supervised and can assign a "supervisor". The courts may also require both of you to have a psychological evaluation and the person doing the evaluation will make recommendations based on the findings.
You should consult an attorney about the timing and the various stages of decision making regarding children's visitation.

You may find this book helpful....

I hope this helps.