Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Hello I have been seperated from my husband for 3 years. He

Customer Question

Hello I have been seperated from my husband for 3 years. He has a drinking and drug problem where he goes weeks and will not cfunction. We have a daughter and I don't want him alone with her. He says he is fine and that god will help him. He acts like if nothing happened. What can I do?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,
I am sorry you find yourself in this worrisome position and that your husband does not have insight into his problem. Your only recourse is in the legal system. You may need to file for divorce and in the process express your concerns to the courts about his health and behavior. The courts can require that visits be supervised and can assign a "supervisor". The courts may also require both of you to have a psychological evaluation and the person doing the evaluation will make recommendations based on the findings.
You should consult an attorney about the timing and the various stages of decision making regarding children's visitation.

You may find this book helpful....

http://www.amazon.com/Joint-Custody-Jerk-Uncooperative-Hands-/dp/0312584202/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377222448&sr=8-5&keywords=coparenting

I hope this helps.