Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced, Board Certified practicing Pediatrician experienced in common parenting issues.
239748

HI I am a new mom and my baby is 3 months old. He was sick

HI I am a new mom and my baby is 3 months old. He was sick when he was 10 dyas old with a respiratory infection but he was able to fight it off.. He caught a cold last month and he got better too.. but everytime he sneezes or coughs these days I am on my wits end. I worry too much and its really stressing me out.. please help

ParentingMD :

I understand this problem, pretty much routine with many first time parents, and mroe so when the child has become ill during the first few days of life

ParentingMD :

However, while this may sound difficult, the only solution to this is to worry less :)

ParentingMD :

You need to know a few danger signs, like excessive irritability, complete lack of feeding, limpness, difficulty breathing, high fever (gen above 102 F) and an unwell looking child.

ParentingMD :

However, if the child is otherwise active, playing, smiling and apparently normal

ParentingMD :

then a little bit of sneezing & coughing is absolutely normal

ParentingMD :

and should not construe anything serious

ParentingMD :

Talk to your pediatrician regarding your concern, and you may also take the help of the nursing staff & an elder relative/ friend.

ParentingMD :

I know that sometimes small babies can become overwhelming,

ParentingMD :

but almost all of them turn out to be fine

ParentingMD :

:)

ParentingMD :

Try to take some time out for a few minutes every day, wherein you can tune out and take a break and get some relaxation.

ParentingMD :

Ask your partner/ friends to chip in for a small period of time

ParentingMD :

And relax so that this time remains special ....

ParentingMD :

All the best