Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

My son just finished Kindergarten and he has developed a very

Customer Question
fresh attitude. How can...
My son just finished Kindergarten and he has developed a very fresh attitude. How can we work on curbing this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Parenting
6/17/2013
Parenting Counselor: Josie-Mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Josie-Mod
Josie-Mod, Moderator

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

I am still waiting for an answer from a professional.

Hello

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Parenting Counselor: Dr. Paige, Psychologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist
Hello. I would like to help you, but I need a lot more information. What does he do specifically which is showing negative behavior? I should also mention that slapping his mouth and using hot pepper flakes is not an appropriate reaction for a child that young regardless of what he is doing. Physical responses can certainly make the situation much worse.
Sometimes it takes a few different approaches to curb a behavior you don't want because it is a game. He will see what your reaction will be and he will adjust his actions accordingly and you must do the same. So there is more to this than a simple answer of giving you a step by step to cure this. It will be an ongoing process that you need to accept and work with.

It is basically the words he uses such as "Shut your mouth."

Is he talking to you or others when he says these things? This can be a complex issue to try and resolve. He is obviously hearing and repeating some of the things he is saying. He is trying to get a reaction out of you, even if it is a negative one. There are some instances where you should just completely ignore the things he says which will diffuse the entire situation. If he can't get a rise out of you, it isn't fun anymore. Can you give me any other detail? This is not a question which can be answered simply with limited information as there is not one right answer and all children are different. He can be acting out for other reasons that are happening in his life which may not be obvious to you. Have you tried talking with him and simply asking him why he feels the need to be rude?

He does not like being told "no" or being disciplined.

You have to negotiate with him at this young age to a point. Of course you are the parent and you have rules but you have to explain those rules and WHY he is being disciplined. If he says no to something, ask him why he doesn't want to do it. It will make him think about it and also take him off guard because he just wants to say no to say no. DO a lot of explaining to him about why you are asking him to do these things and why he has to listen.
Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige
Dr. Paige, Psychologist