How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Teacher
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 21416
Experience:  Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

My son is 7 y/o, he is is 1st grade of elementary school in brooklyn ny. currently my wife and i are separated and in proces of divorce. we try to keep our son out of ay conflict adn tryh to mutuwally handle thigs in a civilized way.
in the school. the first tem my son did close to average of 3, out of possible 4 pointss. about a month ago my wife received a letter from school warning that if my son continues with the same average he may not be promoted to 2nd grade. my wife called the school teacher to inquire. techers response was that Stven , my son, is doing better and no to worry.. this week my wife went to school for parent-teacher meeting and for report card. the report card has still 2 average and even less points than first term. my wife had asked of why. the teacher response seems to relate all responses to my sons behavor rather that on subjets themselve. to the point that my wife asked why 2 credits on homework whe she seat daily with him to make sure he does righ, and reacher response was still related to my sons behavor.
my son is also taking speech terapy.. the speach techaer. has a completely oposite report thatn the class teacher. terapist also went futher sayong that the regular class teacher goes too fast and does not worry wheather or not students lear, terapist also recomended theacher to slow down and to make sure she is understood by students. now we are concerned that my son will stay on first grade for next year.. the central point for me is not really the promotion to next level.. my concern is weahter the teacher is acting professionally or as my wife impression that "she does not like my son"
i am askoing for adive of how to procedd , i am not familiar with school system. i owuld like to request and independent revies of my son status, an evalution of the teacher herself ( this is her first year of teachin). and i also would like to request a meeting between techer , school principal and myslef. or is ther anophter way to approach this.. pleasea advise.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will wait
Thanks for your patience, Carlos. We will continue to look for a professional for you.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Waiting still
Thank you again for your patience while we continue our search.

Hi, please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional. However, as one of our valued customers, you are more than welcome to ask another question.

Please accept our sincere apology.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Your question was placed in our legal category and I think you are not looking for a legal answer. I have moved your question and we'll open it up to other Professionals to help you.

Thank you again for your patience,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Carlos, and welcome back to Just Answer.

My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer.

I am a former NYC school teacher and also a parent. I understand your concerns completely and I believe your first step should be to ask for a meeting with the school's Guidance Counselor or the Guidance Counselor for your son's grade or class. Explain your concerns about his grades not being based on performance, but on his behavior and if he does have a behavior problem in school, it is/was the teacher's obligation to report it to her supervisor and request a meeting with you and your wife when the problem first became apparent.

I would also request a meeting with the Principal alone first, to discuss this individual teacher, her teaching style, and the fact that she doesn't seem to give the students a chance to learn the new material before moving on to something else. You must choose your words carefully, though, because a Principal will almost always take the teacher's side; however, if she is a new teacher, the Principal (or an Assistant Principal) is obligated to do classroom observations of her teaching, throughout the year and give her 'evaluations'. If this is her first year teaching, she may be put on 'probation' if her rating by the Principal is 'unsatisfactory' at the end of the school year. They may already be aware that she is not a great teacher, and if this is her first year teaching, she needs to learn more, herself, about how best to get through to the students so they can understand the material and maintain good grades.

If you know any parents of your son's friends who are in this same class, speak to them and see if they feel the same way. Even if their child is doing well, ask if they feel that the teacher is moving too quickly or that she is not a competent teacher because of her teaching style. Try to find some parents in the class who are not content with the way this teacher is doing her job. There's power in numbers, and although you don't have to name names at this time, you can mention that other parents have also voiced their complaints about this teacher to you, as well. You can also mention that the speech therapist agrees with your concerns and that the teacher is going too quickly for the students.

Then, yes, your thought of requesting a meeting between you, the teacher, the Principal and also the Guidance Counselor and Speech Therapist would be a good next step, to get to the bottom of this problem. I know it's rather late in the school year, but you might request that your son is transferred to another first grade class with a more experienced teacher (who had taught first grade for many years) and see if his grades improve, in a different atmosphere with a different teacher.

You can also request that your son is tested for any learning disabilities or behavioral issues at no cost, by the school or the District. If it is found that he may have some slight learning disabilities, he will learn in a different way than other kids, and if this is discovered, he will be entitled to free tutoring or other services offered by the school, to help him learn in the best way for him.

The main focus now, is that you are questioning why your son is receiving poor grades based on 'behavior' and not his school work, and also the teacher's competence. In addition, if your son's work and grades were declining, it was the teacher's obligation to call and let you know, way before this time, towards the end of the school year.

If they are aware that you are going through a divorce, they may try to 'blame' that, regarding your son's grades and behavior (IF there is a behavior problem, which you were never informed about in the past, either, correct?), but if you and your wife are trying your best to keep your son out of the separation/divorce situation and keep his life as normal as possible, that's very admirable, however, as you know, he knows something is 'different', especially if you are not living together(?) and it might be subconsciously bothering him. I'm just mentioning this so the school Administrators cannot use it as an 'excuse' for the grades your son is getting.

You should definitely request an evaluation of the teacher and possible testing for your son, if anyone else, like the Speech Therapist or Guidance Counselor feel that's necessary.

I know it will be dififcult, but try to remain calm when you speak to people at the school, and it would be to your advantage to have both you and your wife at the meetings. One more thing, and I say this with the utmost respect--if English is not your native language and you feel more comfortable conversing in your native language, you can ask for a translator to be present at your meetings, enabling you to express yourself in the best way possible.

I hope things will improve for Steven in school, and you will be able to accomplish what you set out to do.

Please take a moment to Rate with Positive Feedback (Laughing), as that is the only way in which I am credited by the site for my time, work and expertise.Thank you very much; I appreciate it!

Please let me know if you have any questions about my answer or need additional information before rating, by clicking 'Reply', and I will be happy to continue our conversation.

To request me for future questions, simply type "For Cher" to begin your post and I will answer, asap.

Best regards,
Cher, Teacher
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 21416
Experience: Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
Cher and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Cher
I thank you for advise all your advice sounds very reasonable to me
I will follow suit
And perhaps in near future I will require additional advise from you
Best regards

Hi again, Carlos and you're most welcome.

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and your son in this unfair situation and your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. Just make sure to speak to the Guidance Counselor and/or Principal first, and present your facts in a calm manner, with examples of your son's work, where he received good grades, if you have them.

Please feel free to request me at any time for further advice by beginning your question with 'For Cher' and I will be glad to help.

Best regards,