Parenting

Have Parenting Questions? Ask a Parenting Counselor for Answers

Parenting

My son has pawned the little good jewelry I have and some of

the jewelry my mother left...
My son has pawned the little good jewelry I have and some of the jewelry my mother left me before she died. He has gone as far as sneaking into our bedroom, all hours in the morning, quietly takes our debit cards and takes money out for himself. He has also pawned and sold some of his sister's things and his brothers. I don't know where to hide things anymore. He's homeless. I don't know where to start getting professional help. He is a veteran. I was wondering if they will take him for therapy or something. I feel lost.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2012
Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist

Dr. D. Brown :

Hello. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer.

Dr. D. Brown :

I am a psychologist and specialize in Post Traumatic Stress and yes, the VA in your hometown or next big city will have services for your son if he is a veteran. Just look up Veterans Administration on your computer and you should be able to locate the nearest facility. It will be free of charge for him. I am wondering if he might have a drug/alcohol issue and perhaps he is stealing for that purpose? If that is the case, they also have services for substance abuse. If not, he can still get some great therapy there and I think it is your best resource. Sometimes vets with substance abuse are self-medicating due to post-traumatic stress disorder. They are experts in this and are your best bet. I hope that helps. Let me know if there is anything else you need. I appreciate a positive rating if you feel that I answered your question adequately. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. A few years ago, he was prescribed some pain pills for his back. He injured himself when he was stationed out of the country. I don't remember whether a military Dr. prescribed these pills first or whether he was out of the military already. He tried to go and claim injury, but they denied it. Immediately after the military, he was hospitalized at our military base where discovered that he had Atriel Phibilation. He was 26. At 32, he was again hospitalized for the same thing, irregular heartbeat. He suffers from insomnia where Ambien as been prescribed (he abused this medication by taking too many at once), anxiety and has always been A.D.D.. He says he's gone to the VA, but I don't believe him anymore. He lies all the time now. I really think he's buying pain pills off the streets and that's where my money is going, only I can't prove it. I will continue to encourage him to return to the VA. He has no money and no insurance. He does have a full time job as of a month ago, but he paycheck is gone in 3 days. I was wondering that are all these meds contributing to irregular heartbeat?

Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist
Yes, they can, but more likely they are making his condition worse. I am not a medical doctor so I really cannot comment on medical side effects, but pain pills are very addictive and can certainly cause breathing problems and even, death. I would send him back to the VA as soon as possible- he will be in the best hands there. Take care.
I hope you got your question answered sufficiently. If so, can you kindly rate my service as positive so I may be compensated for my time? I would greatly appreciate it. If you have more questions, please email me and I will respond as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

I just wanted to check back in with you to make sure you didn't have any further questions. If you do, please let me know. If not, I wish you all the best and thank you again for the opportunity to be of service.

Kindly,

Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown
Dr. D. Brown, Psychologist