How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DocRob Your Own Question
DocRob, Doctor (MD)
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 86
Experience:  Doctor & Father
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
DocRob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece wants to go to college in Scotland. I am looking

Customer Question

My niece wants to go to college in Scotland. I am looking for a college admissions consultant that is an expert with the UK schools. I have found plenty of people that know the US colleges, but have been unable to find any that are experts with British schools.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DocRob replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. I truly hope that I can help you. I will aim to provide sensible, common sense help, but I need you to read and agree to the contents of this paragraph. Whilst I may give suggestions for you to look at, I cannot be held responsible for the consequences derived from the information given here, under any circumstances.

I would also be very grateful if you could rate my answer when completed; I strive for level 3 or above in this but if you feel that you my advice warrant’s negative feedback, please remain in contact with me to see if we can resolve any issues before leaving the feedback. If you still feel that my answer was poor and that negative feedback is warranted, I will then fully respect your wishes.

If you continue this conversation, you are accepting these as our “terms”.

The main application site for UK universities is at:

here you will be able to access a whole host of relevant information.

You can also asearch on the homepage search box for questions you may have - for example, if you put in "foreign", a good selection of useful information comes up. However, I cannot be more specific with you without a more specific question.

many Scottish universities will accept fee paying foreign students readily - and I recall specifically that there was a cross-border dissent about unfair competition a while ago. If you have a specific university in mind, they are very helpful in guiding you as they will want your business - Scottish residents still don't have to pay the huge tuition fees of those south of the border, so foreign nationals make an attractive proposition for them. Most also offer bursaries and can guide you on how to apply. Your best bet would be to contact the specific universities in the first instance though.

Does this help? if not please let me know and I will opt out so that you can get better assistance from another expert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Yes, I have seen all the information that you mentioned, but what I am specifically looking for is a college admissions consultant that can assist my niece in her college application process to a UK school.


Basically, I need a name and contact information for a college admissions consultant (obviously I know that we will have to pay them) that is an expert in helping US students get into UK schools. I have found plenty that help for admission into US schools, but I need one that can help with UK schools.



Expert:  DocRob replied 4 years ago.
OK. I cannot help you with that other than what I advise people wishing to go to university in the UK in general. The admissions boards that I have sat on have looked very unfavorably on students who appear to follow the formulas that many of these coaches use - I have certainly rejected out of hand anything that looks even slightly formulaic when in that position. depending on how good the institution is, they are usually quite adept at spotting this. A US based coach, who will research the UK requirements should be just as useful as a UK one if you do wish to use one. The qualities that universities look for are fairly universal.

a very good website for information is also:

we also refer our students to this particular page:

Having said all this, I fully appreciate that this is your niece's future, and that I have not answered your question directly, so please let me know if you would like me to opt out so that you can get advice from another expert.

Expert:  DocRob replied 4 years ago.
I have just asked my wife (a 6th form teacher), who pointed out that it is a requirement of UK 6th form teachers to assist their students in their application to university (UCAS) and so there tend to be few places that offer the sort of assistance you want... but then I thought about the possibility of one of the many UK private tutoring services - providing you get a tutor that currently teaches VI form (years12&13 or ages 16-18) then you should be able to get their help:

if you google search I am sure you can find one that will do it via the internet/email.

again, please let me know if this is useful or not so that I can opt out or otherwise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your efforts, but please opt out. They are really looking for specialist to work with and they want me to vet the specialist first.



Expert:  DocRob replied 4 years ago.
best of luck. I have opted out.
Expert:  DocRob replied 4 years ago.
hi, even though I have oped out, I thought I would check to see how you have progressed with this. If you do not wish to respond, don't worry, I was simply interested.