How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bonnie Your Own Question
Bonnie, Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two girls 14 and 17, Their Dad is in rehab, the 14yr

This answer was rated:

I have two girls 14 and 17, Their Dad is in rehab, the 14yr old wants nothing to do with him until he sorts himself out and the 17yr old thinks He is her responsibility as he has no one else. What do I do to help her to not get hurt
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

You are already doing the 2 things I was going to recommend...the Alanon or Naranon idea and individual counseling.

But since you are asking, it sounds like you feel this is not enough. SO, otherwise, it is your role to observe and let psychologist know if you see red flags that she is on a decline. So make sure that her functioning in all areas is not suffering....her friends, her grades, her appetite, her sleep, and her mood.

Be available to talk if she wants to but don't push if she doesn't. Provide her with some outlets such as a time away or favorite activity. Nurture her with favorite meals and allow time with friends.

So I am sure you notice that this is all about what you can do. That is because you have no control over what he does but can only be a buffer if he hurts her. For your sake and wellbeing, you need to let go of what you have no control over. Being strong and healthy for her means taking care of yourself too.

I hope these words are helpful and calming....
Bonnie and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you