earthsister
earthsister, Parent
Experience:  Home Child Care Provider, and mother of 4; two pre-teen boys and twin baby girls.
67703226

Hi. Our just turned eight year old daughter and two of her

Hi. Our just turned eight year old daughter and two of her friends (Girl 9 and Boy 6) were caught taking explicit digital pictures of each other naked yesterday and I am at a loss as to how to address the issue in such a way that she understands what they did was inappropriate without making her subconscious about her body (self-image) and sexuality in general. Are there any age-appropriate resources for talking about the obviously emerging curiosity regarding sexuality etc.?

earthsister :

Hello, I would like to help with your parenting question today.

Customer:

Hi. Our just turned eight year old daughter and two of her friends (Girl 9 and Boy 6) were caught taking explicit digital pictures of each other naked yesterday and I am at a loss as to how to address the issue in such a way that she understands what she did was inappropriate without making her subconscious about her body (self-image) and sexuality in general. Are there any age-appropriate resources for talking about the obviously emerging curiosity regarding sexuality etc.? I am seeking an approach that will maintain a balance between her having a healthy self-image while still communicating that it is inappropriate behavior.

earthsister :

And what kinds of things have you discussed with her thus far regarding the incident?

earthsister :

hello, are you still there?

Customer:

That is inappropriate for her to be exposing and taking pictures of her and her friends "private areas".

Customer:

Sorry. I'm at work...

Customer:

One of the other parents was visibly angry at her child and for me personally alarm bells were going off that was so completely NOT the right approach. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that kids are curious and they're going to do things like this.

earthsister :

That is ok. I agree, yelling and being upset outwardly can only make it worse. You should start by letting your daughter know that her body is special, and is hers, not to be shared with anyone else, until she is an adult and gets married to a man that loves her very much.

earthsister :

Tell her that you know that she will be curious about these things over the years, but that if she ever has any questions about her body, or sex, that she should feel comfortable in coming to you first.

earthsister :

I would also ask her where did they get the idea of taking naked pictures: is it from something that she has seen or heard?

earthsister :

This book provides parents with methods for teaching their children about sex and sexuality at all ages: http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Your-Children-Truth-about/dp/1591858771

Customer:

Thank you....