How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask professional_Alison Your Own Question
professional_Alison, Child Care
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
professional_Alison is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 20 year old grandson living with us who is using what

This answer was rated:

I have a 20 year old grandson living with us who is using what is called recreational drugs.
He is continually stealing from me both money and possessions. What is the best way of helping him realise the situation cannot go on this way. His parents are separated and neither will have him live with them. I don't want him to feel that I have rejected him as well but i am a carer for my husband who has had a stroke and we are pensioners. I can't afford to keep him when he is bringing in no keep and costs a fortune in food and ciggerettes.

professional_Alison : Hello there, may I help you? Thank you for asking your question, I can assist you. Your grandson is an adult and must take responsibility for his actions. Obviously he has very little respect for you If he is happy to take your tho ga andypur
professional_Alison : Sorry, take your things and your money. He is not thinking straight only how to get money to feed his habit.
professional_Alison : You need to be strong here and insist he gets help for his drug habit otherwise he will have to leave. Let him know that you know he has stolen from you and that if it happens again you will contact the police.
professional_Alison : I understand that he is your grandson and you love him very much but allowing him to continue this path is unacceptable. Let him know you are there to support him is giving up the drugs, encourage him to look for work and contribute to his keep. You have your husband to think about and yourself. This is a stage in your life when you should not be having to deal with this sort of burden. He needs to realise that you will not stand for this sort of behaviour and if it continue use he will have to leave and with no job and no money he doesn't have many choices. Be strong and stand your ground, it may sound like tough love but it really is the only way. Otherwise this situation will continue and you will be taken for granted and your home ad possessions abused.
professional_Alison : Offer to go to the doctor and support his through drug rehabilitation. Of he knows ou are not going to abandon ho
professional_Alison : Him there is the main reason to want to change and turn hia
professional_Alison : His liife around.
professional_Alison : Sorry having trouble with the type this evening!
professional_Alison : I hope this has helped, do let me know if I can assist you further.
professional_Alison : The other idea is to try and steer him away from the peer group in which he is mixing, encourage him to go to the gym or an evening class that may help him to get a job, guide him on the right direction, pick up brochures
professional_Alison : From the local college to show him what is available.
professional_Alison : Discuss his interests whether a cookery class or football, encourage his to join a group and meet some new people too.
professional_Alison : I wish you all the best.
professional_Alison and other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you