You are probably correct on the mentor for this level of job search. Actually, a family member or fiend might be able to help. it sounds as if he just needs that first job to build his confidence.
His biggest issue does not appear to be a lack of skilLs, but rather a shyness and inability to market himself. Below are some of my own pointers that:
1) Develop a resume. Even if the jobs he is looking foR do not require one, iT will help him get a better feel for what he has to offer.
2) Determine his skills and what jobs they are suited for. Focus on those jobs but dont limit himself to them.
3) Network himself. Talk to friend's and family about referring him where they work. A large portion Of jobs are secured this way
4) Go job hunting through the phonE book and doOr to door. Another large portion of jobs are found this way...Basically bY chance. You must knock a lot of doors to find A job this way. Basically, finding work is hard work.
5) Sell himself in the interview. PracTice the interview proceSs ... How to greet and shake hands, How to answer questions, etc.
These are just a few pointers i give. For a more complete list and some links go to http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Job. I really do believe if he could gain that first job he could gain the confidence he needs to better hImself;
Some things as a parent you might try:
1) Keep encouraging him.
2) Be his mentor. You havE found jobs. Share your knOwledge with Him.
3) Don,t enabLe him. I know he is shy and this is difficult, but until he faces thIs basIcally phobia he is nOt going to conquer it. Basically, cut him bacK on his allowance or sustenance to the point he feels the need to overcome his fear,
i hope this has been a help to you. If you have any questions pleas post hem here. I do want to be a help. Otherwise, I hope you will leave me a positive rating so I can be compensated for my time.